Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Obama and Smoking

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Milk3's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2008
    Posts
    2,212
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Obama and Smoking

    "U.S. President-elect Barack Obama failed to give a straight answer when asked on a U.S. talkshow on Sunday whether he had managed to quit smoking.

    In a country where cigarettes are responsible for one in five deaths and smoking costs tens of billions of dollars in health care, Obama has been under pressure to set an example by giving up his reported two-decade-old habit."

    "Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" program, interviewer Tom Brokaw told Obama he had ducked answering the question during an interview last month with ABC's Barbara Walters.

    Noting that the White House was a no-smoking zone, Brokaw asked Obama, "Have you stopped smoking?"

    "I have," Obama replied, smiling broadly. "What I said was that there are times where I have fallen off the wagon."

    "Wait a minute," Brokaw interjected, "that means you haven't stopped."

    "Fair enough," Obama said. "What I would say is that I have done a terrific job under the circumstances of making myself much healthier. You will not see any violations of these rules in the White House."

    Looks like he dodges answering questions about everything these days. At least he's setting a great example for the country [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/redskins3.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/6a00d83451ba6469e200e54f0eaffb8833-.gif[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/unc1-1.jpg[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2005
    Posts
    1,087
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Obama and Smoking

    I dont think I have ever heard him give a straight answer on anything. He's tries to hard to be a people pleaser. He wants everyone to love him so his answers are always vague and covering all points of view....

    "What I would say is that I have done a terrific job under the circumstances of making myself much healthier. You will not see any violations of these rules in the White House."

    In other words...I want people to think I have stopped, but I'm going to lock myself in the White House shitter and puff away.

    I mean honestly, why is he so worried about it? Why not just say "No, I havent been able to kick the habit. It's a horrible habit that is bad for my health, and one of the hardest things I know of to try and quit. I don't want kids out there to look up to me and think smoking is cool, I want them to look at me and see they should never take the first puff because they may not be able to stop, and could destroy their own health."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Obama and Smoking

    Is this even an issue? If it was somewhat of a significance, then it might be something to gripe about.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2005
    Posts
    1,087
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Obama and Smoking

    Again, r13 to the GREAT ONE's rescue.

    I think you absolutely made the point we are trying to make. Why is HE making it an issue? Why not just say what I said above? But no, he has to do like every other issue, give vague answers so that noone really knows whats going on....even on such a non issue.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Obama and Smoking

    Brokaw asked Obama, "Have you stopped smoking?"

    "I have," Obama replied.


    Then said he has fallen off the wagon and Brokaw keeps asking about the same dumb thing...How is HE making it an issue?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Obama and Smoking

    You guys are arguing over whether or not a grown man smokes??????????
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2005
    Posts
    1,087
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Obama and Smoking

    Actually, no. I could give a rats ass if he smokes or not. What we are pointing out is, Obama can't even give a straight answer on such a small thing.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8
    Inactive Member duckmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2007
    Posts
    2,017
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Obama and Smoking

    Exactly. This really is a non issue. I smoke, you guys gonna grill me about it?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member duckmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2007
    Posts
    2,017
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Obama and Smoking

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, no. I could give a rats ass if he smokes or not. What we are pointing out is, Obama can't even give a straight answer on such a small thing. </div></div>


    If he was up to a pack a day or something, and now only occasionally smokes one then I would consider that quitting. It's a damn hard thing to do, I know I can't.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Obama and Smoking

    Thats not quitting, thats limiting.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •